Combination of proper care and balanced diet is key contributor to success of orthodontic treatment. Practice good oral hygiene during orthodontic treatment is an essential preparation to welcome shining and healthy smile when finish the treatment.
How to take care teeth with braces properly?
When the braces are put on the teeth, it is also the time many questions about the oral care designed for teeth with braces occupy patients’ attention. Good news is that taking care of teeth with braces is not as much difficult as you may imagine. Just with a little effort, keeping your teeth strong and healthy in the time you undergo orthodontic treatment is so easy!
Brush your teeth
As normal mouth care, remember to brush your teeth after every meal and before bed with orthodontic toothpaste and toothbrush to avoid food debris left in the braces and between teeth. These types of brushes are specially angled for the bristles to go inside the braces.
Floss at least once a day. Besides interdental flossing, you should make sure to floss not only between the braces but also under the wires to thoroughly remove all the food debris. Specialized orthodontic interdental brush is an effective assistant that you can rely on.
Use specialized products for orthodontic patients
More and more specialized products for braces, such as toothpaste, toothbrush, mouth rinse and wax, are generated to assist orthodontic patients. Development of helpful products eases the struggle you may get through while maintaining good oral care for your teeth with braces.
Often change your toothbrush
The braces can quickly destroy the smooth and quality of the toothbrush bristle, which prevents meticulous cleaning effect. Change your toothbrush often is advised by dentists.
Rinse your mouth if you cannot brush
Although it is required that you brush your teeth after every meal, there are some situations in which you can not brush. Mouthrinse is your the best solution or at least you can rinse many times with clean water.
Check your braces and teeth in the mirror
Often check your braces and mouth in the mirror in places with enough light to make sure all are free of food debris and there is no damage to your braces or wires.
Periodically visit your orthodontist for check up and professional cleaning
People usually have their teeth cleaned with the dentist every 6 months. For patients undergoing orthodontic treatment, it is good to have professional cleaning every 3 months. Cleaning and checking up you braces in 1 visit will save your time.
If good oral hygiene practice is not maintained, no one can ensure that your teeth will be straight, healthy and beautiful when the orthodontic treatment is finished. Despite the straight look of your teeth, you might develop gum disease, tooth decay, or discoloration of enamel, which is not as bright as natural.
Balanced diet in orthodontic treatment time
Wearing braces won’t put your life on hold, but we do recommend you some foods which you should avoid/ should eat for the sake of your teeth.
- During orthodontic treatment time, try to nourish your teeth with enough essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. This will improve your teeth’s health. Healthy teeth respond better to orthodontic treatment.
- Too much sugary food intake can lead to excessive dental plaque formation surrounding your braces and wires, teeth staining. In addition, acid production in your mouth results in white lesions causing tooth decay.
- Avoid hard/sticky/crunchy food like popcorn, corn, chewing gum. Do not bite apple or carrot in full size. These kinds of food can break the wires and loosen the brackets.
- Remember to cut your food in bite-size piece to reduce the pressure that your teeth absorb
- Ask your orthodontist for a list of what to eat and what to avoid