Although guidelines for caring dental implants are not too complicated and requiring effort, patients should pay sufficient attention to take care of implants. This is the only and the best way to lengthen the lifespan of dental implant, keep your smile long lasting.
Post-surgery care for dental implant
Following the instructions can speed up your healing time and increase your chances of a successful implant.
- After surgery, anesthetic may last for few hours later. Patients should drink pure water, do not eat anything until the effect of anesthetic wears off.
- Avoid hot food and drink in a few days after surgery
- Try to maintain hygiene in the surgery area. Specialized post-surgery toothbrushes are recommended to gently clean the treatment area. Avoid rubbing or applying too much pressure.
- Only use prescribed mouthrinse during 2 days after surgery. Do not rinse too hard. You should consult with the dentist about the mouthrinse you can use in the healing time.
- Do not exercise in 2-3 days after surgery. Keep physical activities to a minimum immediately following surgery.
- Only use prescribed medication (painkillers, antibiotics or mouthrinse).
- Strictly follow instruction given by your dentist
- The pain may disappear in few days. If after a few days you experience increasing pain and swelling, you must return to the dental clinic as soon as possible
- Eat soft food. Avoid chewing in the surgery area to prevent food lodged in
- Do not smoke and drink alcohol. During the healing time, smoking is inhibited to ensure the healing.
- Follow appointment with your dentist
Balance diet after dental implant process
- Do not eat in surgery area in 2 months after surgery to support the healing. Too much chewing pressure may cause failure of implant procedure
- Do not bite, chew hard food or objects on Implant teeth in 2 months
- Scalding food and drink are not good for dental implants
- Eat/drink hot and cold at the same time can fracture or break the restoration due to sudden temperature change
Maintain daily oral hygiene for dental implants
- Gently brush Implant teeth after every meal and before bed with specialized toothbrush designated for implant teeth.
- Interdental brush, dental floss or oral irrigator (WaterJet) support to clean implant teeth thoroughly at least once a day
- If patients suffering from peri-implantitis, it is advised to use non-alcohol mouthrinse with antibacterial ingredients as prescription of dentist. You can dilute the liquid with pure water to use with oral irrigator, helps completely clean implant teeth.
- Teeth grinding or clenching can damage the prosthesis. Mouthguard assist to protect your implant teeth.
- Quit smoking. Smoking leads to peri-implantitis and reduces the longevity of implant teeth
- Do not rub hard on implant teeth
- Periodically visit your dentist to have your implants monitored and professionally cleaned regularly by an expert. Implant maintenance is required at least per 6 months